Oil India Limited (OIL), as per the directive of Ministry of Petroleum & Natural Gas has set up the Skill Development Institute (SDI), Guwahati in line with similar SDls established by major oil and gas sector PSUs in other parts of India.
The objective of the SDI is to cater to the skill needs of the youths of North East region in order to enhance their employability in hydrocarbon as well as other sectors. To this end, the institute has adopted National Council of Vocational Training (NCVT) I State Council of Vocational Training (SCVT) and National Skills Qualifications Framework (NSQF) I Sector Skill Councils (SSC) approved courses.
The journey so far
- The Government of Assam approved the proposal for providing the newly built ITI Complex at Amingaon, Guwahati on long-term lease (10 years) to Oil India Limited for setting up the proposed Skill Development Institute.
- A lease agreement between Govt. of Assam and OIL was signed on 20th April, 2017 in presence of Dr. Himanta Biswa Sarma, Hon’ble Minister for Finance, Planning and Development, Health & Family Welfare, Education, of Assam.
- A society with name Skill Development Institute Guwahati was formed with representatives from various oil sector PSUs namely, OIL, ONGC, HPCL, IOCL, BPCL, EIL, GAIL and Balmer Lawrie. The society was registered under the Societies Registration Act XXI of 1860 on 26th July 2017.
- An MoU was signed on 15th May 2017 between Tool Room & Training Centre, Guwahati (TRTC), a society established under aegis the Ministry of Micro, Small & Medium Enterprise (MSME), for establishing and operating the proposed SDI at the ITI complex in Amingaon, Assam.
- Indiana Group of Institutions, a registered society under the Societies Registration Act XXI of 1860 and affiliated to Management Entrepreneurship & Professional Sector Skills Council (MEPSC) has been engaged to impart training on soft skill and Yoga to the trainees
Infrastructure & Facilities available
The spacious and attractive complex with administration building and hostel block having in total 2100 sqm of floor area.
Class Rooms: The class rooms are equipped with smart boards and other audio visuals facilities.
Hostel: The hostel at the complex has been developed to accommodate around 60 students. The accommodation at the Hostel along with food is free for the students.
The hostel is equipped with both indoor and outdoor games and sports facilities like carom, chess, badminton, volley ball, table tennis etc. besides other amenities like television, newspapers, periodicals etc. for infotainment.
Computer lab: Adequate number of computer to meet the needs of the classes with experienced faculty members.
Library: Library facilities for the students with newspaper, periodicals and collection of books related to the courses and other subjects of general information.
Welding shop, equipped with latest machineries for different welding process which include rectifier ARC welding Machine, Electric ARC welding machine, Gas metal welding machine, compressors, MIG welding machine, plasma cutting machine, AC/DC TIG welding machine, power shearing machine, Generator welding machine, Spot welding machine, submerged ARC welding machines etc, with all required safety gears and fitting shop.
Electrical Shop, with all required tools, plants and fittings for training electrical jobs related to Home/Building and Industrial installations.
Schneider Electrical lab : A state-of-the-art Electrical laboratory has been set up in collaboration with Schneider Electric with the most updated technology in order to enhance employability of the trainees in India and international markets.
Uniform: The students are provided with necessary institution uniform and safety shoes etc. once for six months, free of cost by the society including 1st day educational kit.
Faculties: Experienced staffs from Tool Room & Training Centre, Guwahati are conducting classes and administration works.
Medical facilities: The first aid facilities are available at the institute. The nearest medical facilities are available at Tula Ram Bafna Hospital (Govt. hospital) near the NH. There are another two hospitals namely, Narayan Hospital and GNRC Hospital nearby.
Surveillance System: CCTV being installed and Biometrics attendance of students, office staff and security personnel who keep vigil round the clock.
Yoga: Yoga classes for the trainees are being done.
In the pipeline:
- Upgradation of Computer lab by increasing number of computers and comfortable working atmosphere.
- Upgradation of the welding shop by adding technologies like welding simulator, ultra sonic flow detector etc.
- Addition of new courses to cater the need of the people in the region and employability in hydrocarbon sector.